Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Grassroots Movement to Help End Hunger

 
       
“Volunteering is the ultimate exercise in democracy. You vote in elections once a year but when you volunteer, you vote everyday about the kind of community you want to live in.”
-Marjorie Moore
 
 
        The Empty Bowls Dinner Haddon Township High hosts has enabled me to be apart of a wonderful cause. It unbelieveable the amount of hunger in the United States of America. Statistics have shown that in 2011 50.1 million Americans lived in a household with food insecurity: 33.5 million adults and 16.7 million children. All of these people can not rely on a dinner every night. They go day to day, meal to meal hoping there will be enough to sustain their lives as well as their families lives. This is a problem no one should have to live with. This is my first empty bowls dinner and it has opened my eyes to a world unknown. I have experienced first hand the excitement and hardship of fundraising and working towards a bigger cause due to the past three years of lending my hand to the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure. It sure is not an easy task but is extremely rewarding. Volunteering is an astonishing service that is a must if one has hope towards living in a better society. There are so many foundations out there that are in need of a helping hand. Everyone who looks will find a cause that is near and dear to their hearts and will enjoy being apart of.
 
        Beside the reward of being apart of something bigger, this experience has been a ton of fun! Our art classes have been deciated to forming bowls and platters out of clay and recently been glazing them so they are not only food safe, but also beautiful to look at. There are so many different styles to choose from! There is a gazillion different glazes and glaze combo's and an unlimited amount of shapes, which makes this project all the more fun. Everyone has come together to help finish these bowls in time for the dinner and it is coming along fantastically! There is this one bowl I came across that someone made really neat by putting stars on the inside of the bottom. When I saw this I new I had to glaze it because of my deep passion for the galaxy. It took me a few days to finish because I made the stars a golden color and the sky around it a black with a touch of violet. I sure hope after it is fired it looks as good as it does in my head! Stay tuned for a picture of the outcome of this beautiful bowl.
 
 
Below I have provided the links that will lead you to the project and the mothering foundation along with some statistics that will astound you.
 
 
 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment